How to Migrate Microsoft 365 Basic Mobility and Security to Intune?
Microsoft 365 offers multiple options to manage mobile devices in an organization. The Basic Mobility and Security is included in all Microsoft 365 plans and can be used to manage Windows, iOS, Android, and Android Samsung KNOX devices. It offers features such as the ability to retire, wipe, and fully wipe managed devices remotely. However, for advanced features, businesses and enterprises can opt for Microsoft Intune, which is a standalone product included with certain Microsoft 365 plans. With Intune, businesses can also protect mac OS, iPad OS, and Windows 10 (and Windows 11) devices, email, Wifi, and VPN profiles, among others. In this article, we will focus on migrating from Microsoft 365 Basic Mobility and Security to Intune.
How to Migrate Mobile Device Management from Basic Mobility and Security to Intune?
The migration of mobile device management (MDM) from Basic Mobility and Security (Office 365/ Microsoft 365) to the Microsoft Endpoint Manager portal in Intune is divided into three phases.
- Ensure that there are sufficient Intune licenses for all users currently being managed in Basic Mobility and Security.
- Delete the device security policies that are not used in the Security and Compliance portal to reduce the complexity of the migration.
- Create separate groups for Intune-licensed users and others without Intune licenses, and assign device security policies to users in the second group.
- Review the device types that are enrolled in Basic Mobility and Security. While unsupported operating systems might continue to work, they might not be supported in Intune after the migration.
- Policies can be migrated using the Migration Evaluation tool. The tool can replicate the Basic Mobility and Security policies. Follow the steps below to migrate policies from Basic Mobility and Security to Intune.
- Launch the Migration evaluation tool and click on Start.
- Click on Recommendations after the evaluation is complete.
- Review each item, and click on each item to review the detailed recommendations.
- Click on Open policy if changes have to be implemented and assign groups to the policy.
- Enable coexistence and assign the Intune licenses to users.
User And Device Migration
- Users with Intune licenses assigned to them will automatically be migrated on enabling coexistence.
- Log in to the Microsoft Endpoint Manager admin center with Azure AD Global or License administrator rights.
- Assign Intune licenses to Users and Groups that have to be migrated.
- The device will automatically switch to Intune management in the next refresh cycle after the user is licensed for Intune.
Apps4Rent Can Help in Migrating from Basic Mobility and Security to Intune
Although Microsoft has made migrating from Basic Mobility and Security to Intune easy with the Migration Evaluation tool, businesses and enterprises often have challenges in configuring the solution especially when old devices have to be migrated. Apps4Rent has a proven methodology in migrating cloud-based workloads based on extensive history in migration projects. As a Microsoft Gold Partner in several competencies, Apps4Rent can help with licensing and customization of products and services in the Microsoft 365 suite. Call, chat or email our Microsoft-certified consultants available 24/7 for assistance.