SharePoint Spaces is a web-based, immersive platform, that allows users to create and share, secure and extensible mixed reality experiences. It allows organizations to add 2D and 3D web parts to their intranet. Similar to SharePoint sites, it is possible to customize SharePoint Spaces with web structure, background, themes, 3D objects, 360° images and videos, 2D images and text, and other elements. With SharePoint Spaces, Microsoft has transformed SharePoint into a simple VR creation tool.
What Can Be Done with SharePoint Spaces?
SharePoint Spaces is a cross-platform solution that supports a wide range of mixed-reality devices and web-browsers. Additionally, it is built to support 3rd party web parts and extensions using the SharePoint Framework. Here are some of the uses of SharePoint Spaces.
Exhibiting Virtual Tours
SharePoint Spaces can be used to present 360-degree videos, 3D models of buildings and structures, and even on-field drone footage. It is an ideal solution to help global organizations create an inclusive environment.
3D models and 360-degree are easy to create and share in SharePoint Spaces. Mixed reality experiences in SharePoint Spaces can replace expensive live-training simulations to build employee skills and experiences. This not only reduces training expenses but also improves the efficiency as virtual experiences can be repeated several times.
Extending Classroom Experiences
Classroom learning is no longer restricted to screens and paper as these media have to contend with real-world distractions and do not cater to varying learning styles. With SharePoint Spaces, educators can share visual lessons, visualizations, and videos (2D, 3D, and 360°) while teaching, and create engaging learning experiences.
How to add a SharePoint Space to Teams?
Adding SharePoint Spaces is no different than adding SharePoint pages to Teams. Here is how you can create a SharePoint Space and add it to Teams.
- To create a SharePoint Space, ensure that the feature is activated. If it is activated, you will see the option if you expand the +New menu for the SharePoint site.
- If the feature is not activated, navigate to Settings at the top left of the site, and click on Site information.
- Click on View all site settings to expand the Site settings page.
- Select Manage site features under Site Actions.
- Scroll down to the Spaces option and click on Activate.
- Create a new SharePoint Space from the home page of the site.
- Switch to Microsoft Teams once the Space is ready.
- Click on the Add a tab (+) option at the top of a Teams channel.
- Select the Space if you find it in SharePoint Pages, or click on Add a page from any SharePoint site, past the URL of the newly created SharePoint Space, and click on Save.
- The newly created SharePoint Space appears in the Microsoft Teams channel and looks like a native app.
Apps4Rent Can Help with Teams and SharePoint Implementation
With initiatives such as AI at Scale and Microsoft Mesh, the software behemoth is making rapid strides in the fields of Artificial Intelligence, Mixed Reality, and other cutting-edge technologies that are transforming the way individuals and organizations work, communicate, and collaborate. Most of these technologies are introduced to native Microsoft applications and services such as SharePoint and Teams that are a part of the Microsoft 365/ Office 365 productivity suite.
As a Tier 1 Microsoft CSP, Apps4Rent helps businesses adopt and migrate to Microsoft’s cloud offerings such as Azure, Microsoft 365/ Office 365, and Dynamics 365. Get in touch with our Microsoft certified cloud practitioners, available 24/7 via phone, chat, and email for assistance.